Bow Pulpit, LED Navigation Lights & Deck Fittings

This started as just a replacement of the pulpit mounted navigation lights with low consumption LED fittings. In addition to saving electricity, I won't have to worry about struggling to replace a burned out light bulb some dark night leaning over the pulpit and trying not to drop little screws (or myself) in the water.

Once my attention was drawn to the area, it snowballed as usual into a much larger project in which nearly every fitting was removed and rebedded and some replaced.

This project shows the often hidden value of upgrades. Once I got the pulpit off, I found that the holes in the deck for the nav light wiring were not centered under the tubes. The wires were pinched in the flanges and movement over the years had worn through the insulation. They were very close to shorting out. The relocated access holes have a length of plastic tube glued into the deck with 5200. The plastic tube extends a few inches up into the pulpit tubing to form a water coaming. This let me open up the drain slots in the foot flanges so any water that gets inside through the wiring holes at the top or around the deck sockets can drain out.

The original cleats and chocks were adequate for docking but every mooring I picked up was a struggle. Most pendants wouldn't fit the chocks or the cleat. For mooring convenience and to be ready to accept a towline if I'm ever in trouble, I replaced the starboard chock with a big bronze locking chock that will fit a large diameter line with some chafing gear on it. The starboard cleat was replaced with a heavy pattern 10" cleat. The solid fiberglass backing block and hat section formed by the bow locker and hull side will make this a very strong towing point. Normal anchoring and docking will be done with the original fittings on the port side.

I also refinished the teak and replaced the deck pipe for the anchor rode which had gotten rather grotty and had a loose cap.


Stern Light

The new Aqua Signal Series 32 stern light that came in the set with the running lights presented a mounting challange on the reverse transom. Since the wind vane tower partially obscures the light and also provides an excellent mounting point, I decided to move it to the higher and unobstructed location.

The basis for the mount is an 8" x 1" Schaefer rigging tang that I had bent by a machine shop to a pattern I provided. The tang fits the wind vane hardware so well it looks like the mount had been built by Cape Horn themselves. I shaped the backing plate and assembled the mount.

The wires run into a hole drilled in the strut, then down the strut, through a hole drilled in the plastic bottom plug, and finally through a hole drilled in the stainless steel mounting bracket into the boat.

Back to Winter Projects

Strider Home Page